Friday, March 23, 2012

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

I tend to think of myself as a non-fantasy genre individual. Yet somehow I keep getting sucked into and hooked on fantasy series: Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings, Hunger Games, etc. A Game of Thrones did it to me again.
Much like The Fellowship of the Ring for the Lord of the Rings trilogy, this first book in the Song of Ice and Fire series had the heavy task of serving as introduction to the world(s) grown out of Martin's detailed imagination. As such, I found that it took me a better part of the first half to get to the point where I couldn't put it down. However, I found it difficult to walk away once I was immersed in the life of charaters such as Lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell, who becomes the king's right hand man in place of his (allegedly) murdered predecessor and has the task of solving the mystery of the last hand's death. And characters like King Robert Baratheon and his scheming wife, Queen Cersei; Viserys and Daenerys Targaryan, whose family was ousted from the throne and murdered by King Robert and who are now, through marriage to a barbarian king, working to take back that throne. (Ok, somehow making that list made me feel exceedingly nerdy.) And as the storyline of a kingdom full of tension and mixed loyalties unfolds, I found I had to see it through. The end of the book cleverly left me hanging, anxiously waiting to get my hands on the next in the series (thanks, HBO, for boosting the popularity and making this virtually impossible at my library).
BOTTOM LINE: You don't have to be a fantasy-genre-type person to get sucked into the Game of Thrones, which apparently, you either win or you die.

1 comment:

  1. It's hard to give into our true inner nerds and just enjoy fantasy and mysticism and all that comes with it. But once you let go-and yeah, that girl is riding a dragon and that wizard is casting a spell-isn't it really what reading a book is all about? Creating something that is beyond ours and glimpsing it for the few hours or minutes (or seconds as a stay at home mom knows) a day? Why now let your mind take you to these magical places? Dive in Julie! Embrace the "fantasy" part of your brain and walk, for a little while, in those worlds.
    Love,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete