Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

Horrified, amazed, inspired, ashamed - all emotions that I experienced while reading this book. I grew up in the Dutch culture (albeit, the western Michigan version) and know that stoicism in regard to many aspects of one's life (faith included) is more often than not the norm. And so it was with surprise and delight that I read again and again of Corrie and her family's very real, rock-solid faith in the Lord. Even more than that, to read of this faith that carried them through unspeakable horrors while in Nazi prison/concentration camps where they found themselves after aiding Jewish friends. I found myself unable to put this book down as, in awe, I read about the miraculous answers to prayer that God constantly put into motion and the ways in which he tangibly revealed himself to this family and those whose lives they touched. I was inspired by the selfless acts of Corrie, her sister, and their father even in the darkest moments of humanity. And I was ashamed to think how I allow the piddly problems I have to so easily color my mood and affect my attitude. I have NEVER experienced true suffering, is one thing I realized by the end of this book. The second realization was, God truly meets us in the midst of the dark night of the soul, but I want to meet him even now, in the daylight.
This story not only entertains (if I may loosely use that term in reference to the book's subject matter and the fact that is the true account of a life) but will also encourage.
Bottom line: a MUST READ

1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking about you and decided to check your blog. What a huge treat to find your newest book outlet Julie!!! I for one, will eagerly read anything reccomended by you. I just finished The Glass Castle and I loved it! Thank you for sharing your books with me. And then double thank you for sharing your ideas on your books with me. This blog is fantastic and I look forward to all the suggestions ahead. :) Always rooting for you Jewels!

    With love,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete