Thursday, January 28, 2010

Julie & Julia by Julie Powell

I heard lots of great hype about this movie when it recently hit theaters and didn't even realize it was first a book. Some literary type I am, huh? So when I stumbled across it in the New Books section at the library I immediately snatched it up. Books and food are two of my VERY favorite things. I figured I could not go wrong with the two combined. And I was not disappointed - the author married the two scrumptiously. (Ouch, that one hurt, didn't it?)
Let me start by saying that as far as descriptive and hilarious writing goes, I have almost never read a better book. In fact, none come to mind (but that's not saying much as I have a pretty terrible memory at the moment - 3 kids, no sleep, and all that). I knew I was going to enjoy her writing style when, within the first three pages, she used a phrase like "word salad". Her descriptions of her year-long journey with Julia Child to "master the art of French cooking", as well as her mental state throughout said year, are very honestly and straightforwardly written. As a former language arts teacher who taught the traits of writing, may I just say that this memoir is a primo example of "voice". Ok, there, I said it. What I mean by that is the author's personality and character come through strongly in her writing. Ok, on to the
BOTTOM LINE: While I could have done without most (nay, ALL) of the hundreds of F-bombs and misuse of God's name in this book, I more often than not was laughing OUT LOUD. And since it's January, and the winter doldrums are fully enveloping me, I think I can ignore the language this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment