Friday, October 23, 2009

The Time-Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Although I first became aware that this book existed several years ago, I wasn't really interested in reading it until I started to see previews in July for the film, at which point I was totally intrigued. It is a long novel, so prepare yourself for that, but I found it difficult to put down.
The novel centers on the love story of Clare and Henry who have known each other all of, well, Clare's life. Henry was born with a genetic condition that causes him to time travel. Often without much warning he will disappear, landing somewhere in the past or future and always without his clothes. Now that's embarrassing. It is a lonely and frustrating condition, and the only person who really can understand him is...him. (He'll often run into himself on these excursions.) On one of these trips as an adult, he meets the future love of his life, Clare - a six-year-old at the time. Don't get too weirded out - it's not like he puts the moves on her or anything. From here we are told the story of their life, bouncing back and forth between each of their points of view.
Almost immediately I was completely captivated by Henry and Clare and found myself rooting for them and their relationship despite the obstacles they face, both the bizarre and very relatable. I will say that several times I was pretty baffled by the chronology (or lack thereof). I find that any book or movie that messes with the time-space continuum loses me at least once along the way. Some sort of flow chart or time table probably would have helped me out.
BOTTOM LINE: If you're in the market for a unique love story, with a side of some suspense, I believe you will not be disappointed.
P.S. I have yet to see the movie. If anyone has seen it, what did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment